5.13.2010

thursdays child has far to go: the waiting place


Oh! The Places You’ll Go!

You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.

You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed. You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you’ll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don’t.
Because, sometimes, you won’t.

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted. But mostly they’re darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin! Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?

You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.

The Waiting Place…for people just waiting. ~ Dr. Seuss

come on...admit it, you know that place....

i look foward to my little daily blogs. sending my thoughts… be them mundane, silly, errant, irreverent, thoughtful or even thoughtless, out into space.... has in fact, done what i had hoped it would… it has pushed me out of my “waiting place”. It has pushed me to look more closely, think more creatively, listen more attentively, question more gently, to be more engaged…and then try, try, try like the dickens (what is a dickens anyway, anyone?) to explain my findings to a world of imaginary cindy- lu-whos and thing 1 and thing 2's.

the world is so ripe with breathtaking material… but unless i am mindful…unless i am deliberate…unless i urge myself to look for the interesting, the soul quenching, the mysterious, the joyous, the titillating….it can feel like i am just waiting.

the odd thing is…i’m not even sure what it is i’m waiting for.


all i know is on those days…the days my morale gets screwed by an unethical coworker, my spirit aches with empathy for the earth, or my heart hurts for the lonely….i get caught in some kind of holding pattern in my head. it’s on those days that i urge myself with almost frantic intensity… to look for the lovely on this planet. and when i find it...i drink it in and send it off  and realize that in that instant of mental change i am no longer waiting but somehow....participating.

Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

swak~
mrs m

No comments: